Seasonal Dangers for Dog Owners – Autumn

Dark nights are slowly creeping up, leaves have changed and there is a chill in the air. With Autumn month now upon us, they do pose some hazards to our furry friends. Below is a brief guide and tips on how to keep your pet safe this Autumn.



We all loved the game Conkers in the school playground. For dogs, it isn’t as fun. Ingestion can cause gastrointestinal signs such as drooling, retching, vomiting, diarrhoea, and abdominal pain. Serious cases of poisoning are rare. The conkers and the shell can also cause intestinal blockages. Don’t worry if your dog has ingested a conker, as Dogs will usually vomit these up quickly. A form of treatment to control vomiting may be needed.


Oaks and Acorns

In Autumn and Winter, exposure to acorns is very common. The toxic ingredient in acorns is though to be tannic acid. The acid can cause damage to the dogs liver and kidneys. Sign to look out for include vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, and lethargy. If ingested, acorns can also cause intestinal blockage.


Fallen Leaves

Getting the perfect video or picture of your dog playing in a pile of leaves may get you those Instagram likes, but they can be harmful to your beloved pet. Piles of leaves can develop bacteria and mold. If your dog ingests these leaves it can lead to gastrointestinal upsets.


Mushrooms and Toadstools

Some mushrooms are highly toxic to dogs but even fungi experts find it difficult to tell between them. The best bet is to ensure you keep all of them well out of your dog’s reach.


With fewer daylight hours and cold, wet weather you may find that your dog does not get as much exercise as he does in the summer.  It is a good idea to monitor his weight and food intake, as you may need to reduce the amount of food you give your dog, to stop him putting on weight over the winter.  If you are walking in low light or darkness consider a fluorescent jacket and/or collar.  You could also attach a flashing light to your dog’s collar to make him easier to spot.