Originally bred as fighting dogs, Staffordshire Bull Terriers (Staffies) are well known for their kind natures and patience. Staffies are very people-oriented and love nothing more than to curl up on their owner’s knee. They can be prone to separation anxiety, which can lead to destructive behaviour if left alone for extended periods of time.
Staffies are compact, stocky and muscular. They have a broad skull with pronounced cheekbones and a distinct facial expression. They have extremely strong jaws. Their front legs are set wide apart under powerful shoulders.
Staffies have a short coat which is smooth and lays close to the body, this means they are low maintenance when it comes to grooming. They should be brushed weekly with a rubber curry or natural bristle brush to maintain healthy skin and coat.
Due to the short coat, in hot climates/months it is important to protect the skin from sunburn. Skin Cancer is more common in short coated breeds as they don’t have the correct protection. Look after your furry friend with some SPF!
Short / Smooth
Bathe & Curry Brush
A natural bristle brush will be gentle on the skin for daily brushing. It will also pick up any loose/shedding hair and help distribute natural oils around the skin and coat
- As Staffies do tend to shed, it is a good idea to brush the coat once a week to keep shedding to a minimum, especially in Spring and Autumn when the coat has a tendency to shed more heavily
- Staffies can easily get sunburn during the hotter months, particularly on white/lighter coats
- Due to the nature of their coat, Staffies do not require frequent bathing. Bathing too often can disrupt the balance of the PH in the skin and leave it irritated or dry
This breed can have very sensitive skin, so take extra care not to be too heavy-handed or repetitive when brushing the coat
- Use a rubber curry brush, shedding blade, coat rake or bristle brush to remove any loose coat
- Edge ears, if necessary, with safety/detailing scissors
- Trim paw pads with #15 – #40 if necessary
Grooming Tool Recommendations
Other Health Recommendations
Clipper Blade Recommendations
For everyday use, mild/hypoallergenic shampoos are recommended. You can also use coat specific shampoos depending on the coat requirement, such as shedding treatment, deep clean or itchy skin relief. Dry/Waterless Shampoo or Shampoo wipes are great to use between baths.
- Mild/Hypo-Allergenic Shampoos
- De-Shedding Shampoos/Treatments
- Itchy/Dry Skin Relief Shampoos
- Shine Shampoos
- Deep Cleaning Shampoos
- Dry/Waterless Shampoos
A conditioner isn’t essential for this breed, but it can be used to add additional shine and moisture to the coat.